Monday, July 26, 2010

Who's Reading Novels?

Not me these days, that's for sure. This is coming from someone who made lists every year of every book read (and unfinished) and took notes in every book. This year I haven't finished one book, close on a couple, but they're both non-fiction. Here's why:

iPod - Kindle - iPad

First thing is that podcasts have taken a huge bite into my reading time. I've discovered so many great podcasts and learn so much that by comparison, reading seems inefficient. I used to feel that it was a waste of time reading anything that wasn't a worthy work of literary fiction, now I'm beginning to think that fiction is irrelevant. We need to acquire so much knowledge just keeping up with the seismic changes happening in our world, that it seems like an unnecessary indulgence reading fiction when you could be listening to the latest Leo Laporte, This week In Technology podcast.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still reading, just differently. Since I got my Kindle I started downloading book samples and have yet to buy a book in 7 months. It's like having free reign in a Baskin Robbins store; there are so many flavors you want to taste, that you don't want to get filled up on just one. Then there's my iPod Touch and Kobo which also lets you download samples as well as thousands of free classics. Got caught up again sampling, found myself checking out some old classics like The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and reread it every night for a week.

My iPad then slammed the door on anything paper. More free books and samples and on a back-lit screen that I can read in bed before I go to sleep or when I wake up in the wee hours of the morn. Technology has allowed me to bring the bookstore to my lap, to browse at my own comfort, to sample more than just a back cover...and I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog