"So we're Hollywood movie producers making a Bill Murray picture. Anything we do or say is cool."
"Right, Harry. But first we have to leave the coat-check room, we've certainly been here long enough."
"You call ten minutes long?"
"..."
"Yeah, it's long...Another five won't kill us?"
"Harry, don't cave on me now. I like the producer idea."
"Me too. Try it out and we'll see how it works."
"You're chicken-shitting out on me again, Harry."
"It has nothing to do with that. It's a stupid idea, that's all."
"Not as stupid as hanging out in the coat-check room all night."
"The noise of this place is killing me, Finkie. Everything is thumping. My head's about to explode."
"Follow me. We'll go to the other end of the room, away from the speakers."
"I'm panicking, dude. There's too many people here now."
"Because this club is hot."
"If there was a fire, we're finished. Where's the closest exit?"
"Just relax, Harry."
"The smoke in here is killing me. Everyone's smoking. A careless mistake and this place goes up in flames."
"Who're you staring at, Finkie?"
Finkie drew close to Harry and discreetly pointed at the dancing girls.
"Don't point, don't point! You'll blow our cover."
"What cover?"
"You always work a club under cover. If any girl finds out who you really really are, you're finished. Through."
"Why's that, Harry?"
"Because we are who we are."
"I thought we're movie producers from L.A.?"
"But we're not really, so don't blow our over. So don't point, okay?"
"You see the one with the feather in hair? Dancing with the tall brunette?"
"No."
"Near the dancing guy with the sunglasses?"
"That's dancing? He's just rubbing his thighs."
"Behind him. She's got long hair, way down past her shoulders."
"Oh that Rapunzel chick,"
"Yeah, that one. think I know her."
"How's that?"
"I'm pretty sure she was in my sister's macrobiotic cooking class. See that big medallion she's wearing? It looks like a Magen David fused wi!th a swastika. That means she's a Raelian."
"What's a Raelian?"
"It's this Star Trek kind of cult that believes that space aliens founded this world. Yeah, whatever, but they believe in free love. If I can get this girl into a conversation...sweet mama...we'll be doing horizontal calisthenics before I can snap my fingers. I'm going to tell her I saw a UFO last night."
"But what about our plan, Finkie, the producer story?"
"You think she gives a shit about that, Harry? She probably never even heard of Bill Murray."
"Then let's say we're doing a Speilberg movie. Close Encounters in Montreal."
"I'd like to, Harry, but like I told you, the chick knows my sister."
"You'll have to be the producer, Harry. She knows me."
"But I --"
"It's cool. She already knows I make movies. But you still can play the L.A. - Bill Murray project."
"But--"
"Follow me," Finkie instructed as he led Harry towards the Raellian Rapunzel and her dance partner.
"Hi, I think I know you." Finkie said.
"Yes, you look familiar. Do I know you from another life? Ancient Rome?"
"Maybe, but more recently from my sister, Sharon's macrobiotic cooking class."
"Oh yes, Sharon! She does beautiful things with zucchini."
Finkie whispered in Rapunzel's ear and nudged towards the center of the dance floor, leaving Harry alone with the gorgeous willowy brunette.
"I wonder what's the capacity for the fire code here?" Harry whispered in her ear.
She giggled. "Great opening line."
"Don't laugh, it usually works."
"Are you a fire marshall or something?"
"Close, I'm a movie producer, I put out fires all day." There I did it. I'm a movie producer.
"A movie producer, eh? What kind of movies do you make? And what's your name?"
" You ask a lot of questions for...for a..."
"Girl."
"As I thought..."
"Gina..."
"Gina...Can I call you baby?"
"Baby? And I don't even know your name?"
"Harry. Harry Starr, baby."
"No one says baby anymore."
"They do in the movie business. It's baby this, baby that."
"Well I don't like it, it's degrading."
"I agree, it's one of those Hollywood things that I hate."
"Then why do you use it?"
"Out of habit...Gina."
"I see, I see."
"Aren't you going to ask me about my movie producing."
"No, I never watch movies. Who has the time?"
"I'm producing a comedy starring Bill Murray and I live in L.A."
"My plumber's name is Murray."
"Murray Kagan?! From Kagan Brothers Plumbing?"
"...Yes, they're also my landlords."
"Sure, the Kagan brothers. They sit near my father at synagogue dung the high holidays. Made their money in plumbing fixtures."
I thought you were from L.A.?"
"I am now, but I grew up in Montreal."
"Oookaaay..."
"And I moved to L.A. To get in the movie business and I bowl Wednesday night because it's the thing to do in L.A. and Bill Murray's on my team and is doing my movie."
"Who's Bill Murray?"
"How could you not know who Bill Murray is? Saturday Night Live? Meatballs? Ghostbusters?"
"I don't even have a TV."
"My movie has a budget of forty million."
"You're making me dizzy, Harry. I liked it better when you were just calling me baby."
"Baby and remember, I'm also a bad boy."
"And probably full of shit, but I like you."
"Me too!"
No comments:
Post a Comment