Saturday, April 14, 2012

"I'm staying here for good, mom."

"Give it some time, Harry. You've only been there...what, an hour?"

"More like two hours, mom. We landed early."

"Ridiculous. You see a palm tree and you're sold."

"I actually haven't seen any palm trees yet..I'm still in the airport waiting for my luggage. "

"So just tell me that you've landed and that you're okay. Give it at least a day before you tell me, 'Mom, I want to live here,' like you do whenever you go somewhere."

"That's not true."

"When you went to Burlington and ate for the first time at Burger King, you called to tell me you weren't coming home."

"I meant it."

"A day later you back in your room."

"There were too many fat women in Burlington. What choice did I have?"

"When we sent you on that trip to Israel, you called after a day to tell us that you were moving to that kibbutz. Forever."

"I was totally serious."

"After two weeks you wanted to come home early."

"Yeah, we'll they wanted me to wake up five in the morning and shovel chicken shit. What kind of a life would that be?"

"And went you went down to audition in New York, you also called to say you weren't coming home."

"Because New York is the place to go o if you wanna make it big."

"Not when you're choking on stage."

"Why do you always have to throw that in my face?"

"Who's throwing anything in your face, Harry?"

"You are."

"All I'm saying is to at least give it time. "

"..."

"Harry?"

"..."

"Harry, are you still there?"

"I see my bags, mom. Gotta go. Bye."

Said Californy is the place you gotta be
So he brought along his script
And moved nearby the sea
Santa Monica that is
Swimmin' pools, movie stars.

Sun. 
Light. 
Blue sky. 
Palm trees. 
The ocean.

And the homes, what homes.
And the cars, what cars.
And the people, pretty people.
So many pretty people.

Californy.

Opportunity.

Californy.

The place he oughtta be. A Venn diagram of converging dreams.

Californy.

Far from flunkers, far from belts,  far far away from St. Clair. Change your name, change your life.

Californy.

Harry parked the car in front of 262 Lincoln. He made it.

Who's leaning out from her bedroom window
Tokin' on a fat jay, blowin' her mind
Who's bending over giving some lovin'
Some kinda greeting from Wendy.

Who's renting rooms to wannabe starlets
Smiling at everybody who pays
Who's canine family barks for attention
Some kinda living with Wendy.

And Wendy has needy eyes
Inviting to lonely guys
And Wendy tells crazy lies
In her place that few escape
In her place that few escape
.

And it was day. And it was night. Sunday. And Harry saw that it was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog