"I don't know if I'll make it through the first semester, Joey. I hate business school."
"Stick to it, Harry. Some day it will pay off big time. Happy to see that at least you got acting out of your system. You wanna drive a BMW someday or what?"
"I'd never drive a German car. And who says acting is out of my system? It's just suppressed, like everything else."
"Stop being such a putz already."
"I'm ready for another beer, Joey. You still buying?"
"Of course m'man. It's gotta be spent, Harry. It's gotta be spent."
****
Harry took a deep hall and held in his breath until he exhaled the pungent smoke. Lucky that Finky's parents were away for the weekend. He studied the Kiss poster on the wall next to Finky's bed. Pathetic, just pathetic. Best friends with a member of the Kiss army? How embarrassing. Not the time to bug Finky again for enlisting, not with business school messing up the head.
"My big buddy at school is this trollish guy I hate...Sheldon."
"Sheldon...figures. It's a well known fact that Sheldons are assholes."
Like the Kiss army. "Yeah," Harry laughed. "This Sheldon guy's in my study group and all my classes too. He's married and has a beard."
"I don't get beards, it's like wearing a pussy on your face..."
"Yeah, it's like we lost all this body hair through evolution. We don't need to be hairy monkeys anymore to survive. So why go back to the beard? I don't get it and I really don't get this Sheldon guy. Don't know if he's just thick, nervous, or hard of hearing. If I say something to him, he yells back, YELLS - in near hysteria, "WHAAAAT?!"
"How about a coffee break now?"
"WHAAAAT?"
"We have a quiz on Thursday."
"WHAAAAT?!"
"Do you have to say, 'WHAAAT', after everything I say?"
"WHAAAAT!?"
****
"What do you mean you're dropping out of business school, Harry?"
"It's exactly what I mean, mom. I hate it."
"Like everything else," she sighed. "Like everything else."
"That's not true," he lied. "There's lots of stuff I like."
"Like what, Harry. Like what?"
"Like Penthouse Forum," he muttered under his breath.
"What did you say, Harry? What did you say?"
"Do you always have to repeat everything? It bugs me...Umm, by the way, I dropped out of school today," he mumbled. It felt good to say that. Say it again.
"I dropped out school." Imaginary drum roll. Cymbals.
No comments:
Post a Comment