Friday, December 18, 2009

Rushmore

It's been a while since I last saw Rushmore. Watched it again last night and will put it right up there with artistic masterpieces. The only other movie I can compare it to is my all time favorite, Broadway Danny Rose, where every scene is memorable and a delight. Rushmore is so rich, the settings (I have a weakness for stories set in preppy schools like Garp, Wonder Boys and If), the characters and their mismatched relationships, (Max - Blume (Bill Murray), Max - Teacher, Max - little sidekick, Max - school), a story chock full of surprises, continuously moving forward, great soundtrack, interesting cinematic POV and finally theme, nothing could be better than a tale of love, forgiveness and redemption. The final scene is true perfection and I must rewound it at least 5 or 6 times to catch all of the nuances on the dance floor, like the expression on Max's father's face, Blume's dance move with Max's gal and the final curtain closing. And finally, let's not forget performances from Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray that will leave an indelible mark on anyone's brain. Bravo writers Wes Anderson & Owen Wilson. As much as I love Wes Anderson's work, I wonder whether he will ever be able to make another movie as good as Rushmore, his other ones certainly have not been as good and seemed to be more of an ode to style and quirkiness than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog