Wednesday, December 29, 2010

C'mon Harry

Finkie had a role and Harry had no illusions that without his lifelong sidekick, nothing would happen. Agoraphobia had even seized control of Harry's dreams. But it didn't end with the big plan, Finkie led Harry out of his basement apartment.

"C'mon, Harry, let's go out. What're you gonna do in here all alone?"

"Smoke a joint and listen to Steely Dan?" Harry might answer.

"C'mon Harry, there's this loft party tonight downtown where they'll be plenty of chicks to bang."

"Is there a cover charge?" Oh how Harry hated to part with a buck.

"C'mon Harry, let's go see Amarcord at Cinema P."

"I dunno, you driving?" Parking petrified Harry, even by valet.

"They'll steal from my car."

"Steal what, Harry? The shovel you bought at Wal-Mart for ten bucks?"

"They'll take my car out for a joy ride."

"An eight year old Dodge Dart?"

But you could always get mugged or murdered. Harry wasn't very portable.

Without Finkie, Harry would've rotted in a social wasteland:

All the women come and go
Dreaming of the lotto.


Bunkered in the basement.

Peril, peril everywhere
think of flunkers
no longer there.

"Everyone will be there tonight, Harry."

Not the flunkers. But Finkie was convincing, and Harry went out that Monday night and met Gina.

Here's a story, aching and blue
About a quiet guy and a lost girl
He met her Tuesday night
At a club where singles go
Here's how I remember it

I has leaning in the corner having a beer
That moment's branded in my memory
She asked me "You wanna dance?"
I mumbled, "I guess so."
And that did me in
                                                                                                                
O Gina, Gina, Gina,
Between your breasts and stiletto heels
A sight that rocked my world
You turned me into an animal, Gina
Made me plunge into your river




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog