Fast forward to a year later. Harry's giving it a shot in business school, but most of the time trying to just figure out what he's doing there. His vague but ambitious plans to be an actor or writer have been temporarily shelved. Harry thinks he wants to go mainstream. For a while it feels good to be like everyone.
He's on the bus one morning going to school and runs into former bunkmate Sheldon "Stiff" Rosenfeld who also happened to be best friends with Mike Winikoff.
"Mike's doing well, living in New York writing on Letterman, but we haven't spoken in over a year. He couldn't respect the fact that I changed my last name to Roosevelt. I mean I'm trying to make it in the diplomatic corps, not so easy your last name is Rosenfeld. They might as well call me Chicken Soup."
"I know what you mean, Sheldon," Harry said, making a conscious effort not to call him Stiff, the kid whose hard ons lasted all summer. "I always wanted to change my first name. Harry's a name for old farts who hang out at Sunday mornings outside delicatessens...So what was Mike's problem with your name?"
"He thought I was being a fake and wouldn't accept the name change. Then his sister's getting married and he sends me the initiation addressed to me as Shlomo Rosenfeld. Fucking guy! My bar mitzvah teacher was the only one who ever called me Shlomo. Mike was mocking me."
"Maybe he was just trying to be funny and you took it badly?"
"Maybe he's just a jerk."
Harry had to give credit to Winikoff, he couldn't think of a funnier way to break up a friendship. Anything for a laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment