Monday, March 7, 2011

Inequality Among Friends

It was a killer to see Finkie this way. Fat, chain-smoking, disheveled. Harry felt guilty about it, but couldn't wait to leave the home. Finkie drew close to Harry and whispered in his ear. 


"We're leaving for L.A. next Monday, don't say anything to the yokels here. Gary Feldman called me last night and offered us staff writing jobs. We're gonna be stars Harry, stars."


What was there left to do anymore but finish the script?

              SCENE H

INT. GARY’S APARTMENT  -  A LITTLE LATER.

GARY AND HERB. HERB IS PACING ABOUT THE APARTMENT EXCITEDLY. GARY IS SITTING ON THE COUCH WATCHING THE SPORTS NEWS ON TV.

                   HERB
       I’m telling you Gary, last night
       Was the most wonderful night of my life.

                   GARY
       (NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO HERB)
       Tell me something. When they show
       figure-skating highlights, why do
       they only show the falls?

                   HERB
       Figure skating? I’m telling you about
       a defining moment of my life and all
       you can think about is men in make-up
       doing pirouettes?

                   GARY
       Who would want to be in a sport where
       you have to fall down to get some
       attention? What do they think to
       themselves when they make a few
       triple-axels and toe-loops? “Phew
       I made it. Phew I made it.” Where’s
       the joy? Where’s the satisfaction?

                   HERB
       My thoughts exactly!

                   GARY
      (BLOWING UP) My God, man, do even your
      thoughts have to be the same as mine?

A BEAT
                   HERB
      Okay Gary, spit it out. What’s wrong?
     
                   GARY
      Nothing’s wrong.

                   HERB
      (MAKING A SUDDEN REALIZATION) I know
      What it is! It’s the Black Diamond
      Yo-Yo Syndrome all over again!

                   GARY
      Herb, you’re a mental case.

                   HERB
      Usually, Gary, I grant you that, but
      not this time. I’m on to something here.
      It’s like when we were eleven. You used
      to play day and night with your Black
      Diamond yo-yo – until I got one. Then
      you threw your away. It’s the same
      here – when I get something that you
      have, it loses its luster for you.
      (TRIUMPHANTLY) Jana and Jill are the
      Black Diamond yo-yos!


SFX. THE BUZZER RINGS. GARY GETS UP TO ANSWER.

                   GARY
       Well, there are the yo-yos now.

                   HERB
       So you admit it. I’m right.

                   GARY
       I admit nothing. The evidence is
       all circumstantial.

                   HERB
       You think of me as nothing more than
       a sidekick...an appendage...comic
       relief. Is that what I’m destined for?
       A life in sidekick land? Me, Jimmy
       Olson and Jughead Jones sitting
       Around with no dates?

                   GARY
       I always pictured you more as Alfred,
       the butler.

SFX. A KNOCK AT THE DOOR.

                   GARY (CON’T)
       Get that, please.

THE GIRLS ENTER. AD LIB GREETINGS.

                  HERB
       So tell me – who did you like better,
       Batman or Robin?

                  JILL
       Pardon me?

                  HERB
       You know, the Caped Crusader or the
       Boy Wonder? Who’d you rather take to
       see Miss Saigon?

                  JANA
       Well, we always kind of likes Robin.

                  JILL
      He was so cute and earnest...kind of
      like you, Herb.

                  HERB
      (TO GARY) You see, you see,
      Mr. Top Banana.

                  JANA
      Well...there’s something we need to
      tell you first.

                  GARY
       Do you think the Boy Wonder is old
       enough to hear it?

                  HERB
       If I’m old enough to match wits
       with The Riddler, then I’m old enough
       to hear this.

                  JILL
       Actually, what we have to say is
       mostly about you, Herb. (A BEAT)
       I find you very attractive.

                  JANA
       ...The problem is – so do I.

HERB IS SHOCKED AND EXCITED.

                  GARY
       Come again.

                  JILL
       It’s true. We’re both irresistibly
       attracted to you, Herb.  
                 
                  HERB
       So...you want to date me simultaneously?

                  JANA
       Not exactly, Herb.

                  JILL
       Herb, you don’t understand. We think
       it’s best if we don’t see either of you.

                  HERB
       No! This cannot be! This is unacceptable!

GARY IS QUIETLY RELIEVED.

                  JILL
       We’ve been in this type of situation
       before and it’s just too much of a
       strain on our relationship. On top of
       that, with the two of you being such
       good friends...

                  HERB
       We’re not such good friends. Actually,
       I’m more like Gary’s sidekick.

GARY PUTS HIS ARM PATRONIZINGLY AROUND GEORGE’S SHOULDER.

                  GARY
       My little Boy Wonder. Don’t worry
       about it, girls. We understand. I’m
       sure this is for the best.

                  JANA
       We’re glad to see you taking it
       so well.

A BEAT OF SILENCE. HERB BEGINS TO WEEP WITH WRACKING SOBS.

CUT TO:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog