Unlike any other year, where I'm usually on pace to read about a dozen and a half serious works, a dozen of which are literary fiction, this year I have been spending all my free time listening and watching podcasts or iTunes University lectures. It's been a struggle to read even though I now have both a Kindle and iPad. When I have been reading, it's been the free samples you can download, so like a kid in a candy stores I've read a bunch excerpts, but have not bought any. Finally took the plunge and bought Jonathan Franzen's latest novel, Freedom and ripped through a few chapters since. Makes me realize what great writing is: storytelling. Franzen's writing is so crisp that you barely even notice it, it's as if you're eating words. What hits me hard about Franzen's greatness, is his deep understanding of human nature. f
Franzen's character portrayals cut to the core without any flash or artifice. His writing style reminds me a lot of Wally Lamb, the stories are so powerful that it's not an effort to read on. Made me think how different my (modest) writing style and approach is. I like the details, the black humor, the outlandishness of a situation and think that the story is secondary. This is why I love S.J. Perelman; each sentence he writes is a work of art in itself, his wit always shines and the stories seem to be there mainly as a platform for style. There still is something to be said for style over substance...
I dunno David. I could not get into The Corrections. Gave it 200 pages - far beyond my 50 page (John Irving recommended) limit and then dumped it. I find Franzen's prose painfully flat, and his 'insights' proletariat. If you like SJ Perelman, have you read Howard Jacobson? His latest is on the Booker shortlist and, not even having read it yet, I'm prepared to wager that it will win.
ReplyDeleteI think it's ok with John Irving to dump after a few pages, but can't believe you couldn't get through The Corrections, the best novel of the last decade. Disagree on your take on his prose, think it reads so well you barely notice it and his dialog is dead-on. On the prol part- that's what I love about him, is the 'lives of quiet desperation' he writes about,which according to Thoreau, describes most lives. Try 'Freedom' and give Franzen one mo' chance...
ReplyDeleteWhat's ok for JI is ok for me. I only have one more thing to add:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/print/2010/10/smaller-than-life/8212/
Sorry but can't take this critic seriously when he writes about reading the classics instead of new fiction. This kind of snobbishness coming from an academic literary critic seems more of a cliche than what he rails about in Freedom...
ReplyDeleteAfter Freedom, try The Mighty Walzer by Howard Jacobson. Then let's talk.
ReplyDeleteFair enough...
ReplyDelete