One of my guilty pleasures is following Kevin Smith's podcasts, mainly Smodcast and have listened to a couple of the new ones with Jason Mewes. Keep waiting to hear him say something funny or witty, but can honestly report that this has yet to happen. I'm amazed that the man who made some of my favorite movies like Clerks, Mall Rats and Chasing Amy, is so not-funny. Then again, after Amy, Smith's movies are big stinkers and I've always had the impression that he has nothing left to say. He's become kind of like the Howard Stern of Hollywood. Still, I listen to the podcasts because I like his honesty and have a weakness for sophomoric conversation. I have to give Smith credit though for working his audience so extensively, both through the Internet and even in print with his books. I can't figure out why he has so many fans, but I will still check in regularly to the Smodcast trying to figure it all out.
Now Kevin Pollack's online chat show / podcast is another story. I discovered what an incredibly gifted comedian / interviewer he is. His impersonations, namely of Christopher Walken and Woody Allen are the best I've ever seen and his stand-up is equally brilliant. His interviews run long and he delves deep into the interviewee. Great guests too, puts Leno to shame, no comparison.
The last Kevin I follow, although not religiously, is Kevin Rose on his DIGG podcast. Think he's the coolest of the Kevins, smart, natural and he just seems like a good guy. Took me awhile to get into that podcast though, found it too rock 'n roll at first for my taste and I'm not crazy about his co-host, Pudgy Guy with the bad haircut. But they cover lots of good stories while quaffing down premium beer and catching a little buzz.
No comments:
Post a Comment