Friday, June 24, 2011

Finkie Chokes

"It's better up here, Harry. It really is."

"Finkie?" Was it him or the peyote talking?

"Oh, now you're pretending you don't know me just 'cause I'm dead."

"You're dead?"

"Beats life in the schizo lane. Man, was I whacked out of my fucking tree...Gonna get it right the next time."

"Finkie?"

Harry's cell phone rang. His heart slammed against his chest.

It was him.

"Harry, it's Morrie..."

Finkie's big brother. 

Morrie didn't have to break the news, Finkie beat him to the punch.

"How?"

Did he off himself? Belly flop off a ledge? Down a bottle of Flinstone vitamins? Wrist alterations?

"He choked on a chicken bone..."

" ?"

"He choked on a chicken bone?"
  
"Yeah. Just between us, Harry...while he was jerking off."

Sad and ridiculous, but a true Finkie ending. O how Finkie loved his eat 'n jerk lunches. Such a lust for life!

"The funeral is Wednesday, Harry...Harry. Harry are you there?"

Harry dropped the phone and crumpled to the ground. Gomez rushed to his side.


"What's wrong, Harry?"

"Finkie's dead. This trip is over."

"I'll say..."

I need you to take me to the airport. Can you drive me there now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog