Friday, June 10, 2011

Scarlet Begonias for Harry

"Caveat emptor, gentlemen. While peyote may be a perfect food - organic, kosher and psychedelic, the taste is quite gnarly," Yankel née Jaz said while taking out a handful of McDonald's Chicken McNugget dipping sauces from his pouchie. "A little dipping sauce to make the trip sweeter." He handed Harry and Gomez the packets of dipping sauce.

"Sweet 'n sour?"Gomez said. "I'm more of a honey mustard guy."

"Can't help you there, hombre Gomez," Yankel neé Jaz said while peeling off the cover from the packet of sauce. "Dip on dudes!"

And so they did.

When Rabbi Moish returned with enough men to form a minyan of ten for the blessing of the new moon, the boys were slipping away. And by the time the rabbi led the prayer, Harry was tripping. Giant Hebrew letters floated up to the night sky, replacing the stars. Then a bearded fiddler ascended to the sky followed by a cow jumping over the moon. The cow, Harry thought, the cow. I'm home again, I'm in a Chagall, I'm a giant dancing in the sky,
I'm omniscient, I'm everywhere.

And they tripped under the stars, in the street and back on the bus. And it was all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog