Sunday, November 21, 2010

The eReader

So I finally finished reading Freedom, a true accomplishment these days with my ever-dimishing attention span. Before I would carefully keep track of my reading, making sure that I always read a good mix of literary fiction and nonfiction. I'd average about 18 books a year and always kept a running list of them. I'd sign all my books and add notes inside each cover on what was going on in my life. My office was lined with my books and could tell you where I bought each one. Each book was like a little milestone. Was a member of four different book clubs, bought online and could never leave a bookstore without picking something up. Never thought I would go the e-book route, because that would stop my book collection. Then my mother bought me a Kindle and everything changed. I now had access to a bookstore within my lap and instead of reading book jackets,I could download a nice chunk of an excerpt and sample a wide range of books, not to mention all of the classics that I could now get for free. Read a lot of excerpts, while devouring podcasts. Then I moved my office and didn't take my books with me. Enjoy the e-book reading experience much better than paper, easier to read, more portable and more convenient to look up words.can never go back, especially now that I also have an iPad. Paper will go the way that vinyl did with records, eventually becoming nothing more than a collectible. But I got enough stuff already and there's no going back. Next posting will be review of Freedom.

2 comments:

  1. My bro received a Kobo for his b-day. After a few days I asked him how he was enjoying it. He asnwered that he brought it back to the store for a refund after three failed attempts to get it running. The first problem was a softwarte glitch in the device itself, which was returned for a new one. The second and third problems were with the desktop software that never loaded properly. Three strikes and you're out, he said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be the Kobo. Never had 1 issue with Kindle, had it for a year...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog