Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Redemption and Forgiveness

I have written far too much about my spat with the gardner, but I'm hoping this will be the final chapter. Like a Toronto exec, I never returned his phone call pleading for forgiveness. Like a Montreal exec, I hid in my room when he rang the bell and never answered. Then I checked out some of the other gardner's prices and realized I had the lowest rate of them all. Made taking him back a tad more palatable. All the while, he continued to work on lawn, finding a way to regain my respect. This afternoon I run into him while he's tying up my cedars for winter and he sheepishly mumbles that he's sorry for hid outburst two weeks ago, he was having a bad day. How could I not take him back? So in the end this trite incident becomes a story of redemption and forgiveness. Not quite as dramatic or well-written as Ian McEwan's Atonement(which I hated and couldn't finish), but in my own little way a complete story from begining to end, something that has remained elusive to me all these years of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog