Thursday, April 22, 2010

Kevin Smith's Smodcast, Skip It

Funny title for a podcast, http://www.smodcast.com/, but a big disappointment, like every movie Kevin Smith has done since Chasing Amy (with the exception of Zack & Miri). Dogma was a bust, but I gave Smith the benefit of my doubts because he was taking a big risk going into religion. I was still excited when Jay & Silent Bob was released. I even took off the afternoon so that I could see it in the theater basically alone. But lo and behold, the movie turned out to be another bomb. Then there was Jersey Girl that dove-tailed with Ben Affleck's (remember when he was cool?) demise. Throw in Jennifer Lopez, the world's worst actress and it became obvious to me that Smith's creative reservoir had run dry. I even gave Clerks 2 a chance out of respect to his original masterpiece, but that was just as bad as the other clunkers. I later stumbled upon his Smodcast podcasts and tried those out too, but found that they were lame. Let's face it - the dude just isn't funny anymore. Imagine Howard Stern as an auteur film maker and then you've got Kevin Smith. Then came the big news story when Smith got booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for being too fat...I tuned in again to his podcast; I was in the mood for a good rant and he really milked it dry dedicating two podcasts to the silly incident. Repetitive and witless is the best way I'd describe those podcasts, but the masochist in me plugged on and I listened to a few more Smodcasts. Must admit that there were bits of his Fleshlight podcasts that were hysterical, but there's too much repetition and bad jokes to make it worthwhile. So I won't be listening to any more Smodcasts and don't really care to see his movies, (Cop Out also got panned). The artist formerly known as Kevin Smith seems to have nothing left to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog