Friday, April 16, 2010

The Remote Back Up

If you follow tech then there is one podcast you must listen to, TWIT (This week In Tech) with Leo Laporte. http://twit.tv/ He's also got a bunch of sister shows like TWIG (This Week in Google) and Ask the Tech Guy, among others. The thing about his shows are that he's entertaining, funny and very pleasant to listen to, you don't have to be a geek to like them. He's also very candid and doesn't kowtow to anyone. I always pick up a tip or two with every show. Leo is big on plugging remote back up, something that I've been doing for a couple of years now. You may do a back up on an external hard drive, but what if you have a fire or flood or robbery in your house? I've had a flood and can tell you that I thanked my stars to have a remote back up like http://mozy.com/ which is easyto use, inexpensive and amazingly good and responsive customer service and tech help). Leo likes to tell the story of Francis Ford Coppola who had some home incident, lost a script he'd been working on for ages because he didn't have a remote back up. A few things to consider though: you need to configure your back up properly, don't assume that it will automatically save everything on your C drive like e-mails (which I still struggle with) or data on self contained programs like voice recordings within say your Panasonic recording system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog