Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Me, a geek?

Not really, not close, but over the past week I've impressed myself with a couple of things I pulled off on my computer. I bought a new computer and this time refused to succumb to the "Configure your computer scam." They try to tell you (at Future Shop and Bureau en Gros) that it's this big ordeal to "configure" Windows 7 and prepare the recovery discs which is total b.s.. the configuring is nothing, the most complicated thing I did was to delete some of the preloaded programs which is easily done within the Control Panel module. Can't beleive what a rip-off the $99 configuration service is!

Here's though where I impressed myself. Had to get my new laptop when my HP tablet one started getting all wonky on me, freezing and crashing. Meanwhile, while I do a have my backups both on an external and remote, it always seems that when you try to access your backup, you're somehow missing the file that you were looking for (especially e-mails which seem to be a mess to convert and import). So out of nowhere, my HP decides to lock me out with this random "User profile service failed the logon" for whatever that means. I tried booting up a bunch of times to no avail. Then I did a search for this error on my new laptop and found some totally geeky alleged solution. Judging by the initial looks of it, it was way beyond me to actually apply it. All kinds of stuff involving recoding things, booting up in Safe Mode - getting into the real guts of the computer. It didn't seem like there were any other solutions though, so I took a deep breath and tried to follow it step by step. Ran into a bump when I mistakenly erased a code, but managed to recover it. Anyhow, followed the steps, restarted the laptop and to my utter amazement, the solution worked! Hurray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog