Tuesday, April 20, 2010

On Twitter

It's been a little over a year (with 792 followers) that I've been futzing around with Twitter. I've 1) learned a few things, 2) developed some theories and 3) still can't figure out other things:

The best way to get followers is simply to retweet content from a top provider like CNN. No one really cares about your own original tweets unless you're a celebrity.

You can get a lot of followers just because of your screen name. For example, because my last name is Hamburg (like the city in Germany), I get a lot of Germans following me. Consequently I started translating my tweets into German (using Google languages) & get even more German followers.

I think that Twitter is a forum where few people listen or care what you have to say. There are basically 2 kinds of Twitter players, the self-promoting celebs and the spammy professional Twitter marketers or whatever you call them. At the end of the day people just want followers and in that respect, I'm not much different.

Here's what I don't yet get: How do some these professional Twitters get some many followers? many have 10,000 + and I've come across a bunch with 100,000+. Are they making money off of Twitter.

Twitter is great for catching breaking news in hard to cover places like Iran. This is probably it's most useful social function. Twitter is also fun to celebrity stock and you actually get this (false) feeling that you're buds with these people. And if you get a direct message from one, well, it seems to make it all worthwhile. (I actually got a direct message from Mark Cuban in response to a message I sent him. The thing was I only found this out a few months after, I was never checking my @ messages.

Finally, consider this. Ashton Kutcher & Ellen Degeneres have more followers than President Obama. This says it all about America and Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog