Monday, October 11, 2010

Catch the Kotel Fever

First chance to hit the keyboard since shabbos rolled in. Spent perhaps the most spiritually uplifting day of my life Friday night at the Kotel (Western Wall). But before we get there and keeping in line with my Juxtaposin' Jerusalem theme, we stumbled into a little situation while taking the short cut through the Arab market. my wife, who has an annoying habit of asking for directions every 20 paces,along with a distrust for official direction signs, asks some young Arab shop-keeper which way to the Kotel. The wild-ass of a putz has a fit and starts yelling in his thick Arabic accent: I'm not your guide. You're not paying me to be a guide...on and on. I ignore him and walk on, following the other people obviously going to the Kotel, but my wife engages and starts answering him back, something to the extent of , I'm just asking for directions. Just keep on walking, I tell her, and fortunately we get out of there before the dickhead gets even more excited. Mental note: Avoid engaging with locals in Arab market on Jewish holy days.

So we make it safely to the Kotel and meet up with the rest of the family and it's a real scene there, as the people pour in and the energy level builds up towards a shabbos crescendo. My brother and I weasel our way into an evening service comprised and led of young Israeli soldiers. The spirit and unity among them was beyond description. I was thinking: they look invincible, this display would strike terror into the hearts of their enemies, it's apparent that they are guided by a higher force, a modern day embodiment of the Ark of the Covenant. You always see photos and clips in the press trying to depict Israeli soldiers as war-mongers, but if you see how they behave in Israel, nothing could be farther from the truth. Discrete, polite, accommodating and respectful of all. Can't help thinking it's something that us diaspora Jews missed out on...

Finally, from the make-a-wish department: Did a little praying that night at the Kotel for the success of a new venture that I'm presently engaged in, that is just kicking off. Turn on my Blackberry after shabbos, and see that a very important and promising e-mail concerning this project was sent just a little after my return from the Kotel. Mere coincidence? I hope not...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog