Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday Driving

It's amazing where a little Sunday drive can take you in Israel. Left Tel Aviv a little after 10 AM and managed to get in a little pilgrimage, a drive through the Galilee, a two hour shopping and eating jaunt in Safed, another pilgrimage to Rosh Pina, a village founded by a branch of my family, the original house from pre-1900 is still standing...more or less and now at silent organic spa.

Some funny things along the way:

Juxtaposition of ultra religious Hasidic couple in Safed taking a break from the sun in front of an abstract nude sculpture of a woman.

Hasidic comes running down serpentine lane in old city asking around for Knafo. I knew immediately that that person, Knafo, was the brother of my late friend, Dave Knafo, who actually set up that brother in business there. The Knafo in Safed owns a beautiful art gallery. Then I haphazardly bump into Knafo walking down the street, he vaguely recognized me and I recognized him only because there were 13 Kanfo siblings and most look alike. Spent some time in his gallery, but didn't buy anything (although I loved his artists).

Checking into the rustic spa, we stop at the check in (in our mini-bus). A cat is lounging under a tree next to us, then we see a mouse pop out in front. The cat however, seems too lazy to catch the mouse and the mouse too lazy to run away. The mouse gets a little too close to the cat, which then swats it with a paw. They get into a lazy Tom and Jerry chase, but ultimately the cat catches the mouse and eats it. Probably the most wildlife you'll see in Israel...

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! When we were in Safad in August we wlaked into an art gallery where in conversation the lovely lady disclosed that she was a former Montrealer, raised in NDG, and her husband was named Knafo. I mentioned that I had both family (married into the family) and tenants named Knafo.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog