If you grew up in a Hebrew day school, then you can fully appreciate a trip to Israel. I'm not referring to all the stuff you vowed to forget as soon as you graduated. What a grind, half a day of Hebrew till you finish high school. When I write that the Hebrew education enhances the Israel experience,I mean all the laughs you get out of it.
You can make up all sorts of ridiculous phrases into Hebrew from English by making literal translations. For example, when my brother went for a massage, I asked him if he took a sof sumai'uch but you have to know Hebrew to get the joke. Then you get into the whole Zohan routine for advanced practitioners, you get to identify the Zohan characters like Tzipi Buttcrack and Moti Sandalsox. One long in-joke that almost makes 12 years of Jewish day school seem worthwhile...
No comments:
Post a Comment